Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dinner last night

Dinner is by far my least favorite time of day. It has gotten slightly better since the implementation of the menu, but not spectacular that is for certain.

Last nights drama actually started to unfold over the weekend. YUP! Over the weekend. I had already started to hear scheeming on what the girls were and were not going to eat. As a parent this is frustrating. On average I spend about an hour in the kitchen most nights preparing meals for my family to eat and to be greeted with, "I'm not going to eat that"..."Eeww that's gross"..."That looks really bad"..."Can I have something else to eat?" Tonight was no exception. In fact, I was told that "I'm going to go to bed hungry" after the options of: Either eat what has been prepared or go to bed hungry. I was told this by both girls that were at home to dispute tonights dinner.

I will say that I did get a text message of apology from Madyson stating that she was sorry and that she had 4 servings of the meal. So I will take it as a victory! Both girls ate and did not go to bed hungry. Morgan was at a friends house so I guess she didn't have to worry about what I was fixing for dinner, although I venture to guess she would have liked it.

Just incase you are looking for a quick and easy meal to make with very little clean up involved this is what I made last night: Layered Mexican bake

You will need:
1 lb ground beef
green pepper (to taste, I used about 3tbsp)
onion (to taste, I used about 2 tbsp)
chili powder (recipe calls for 1 tsp, I use a little more)
salsa (1 1/4 c)
sour cream (1 sm container)
frozen corn (1 c)
shredded cheese (can you really use too much? But the recipe calls for 1/4 c)
tortilla shells (6)

Brown ground beef, green pepper, and onion together add in salsa, chili pepper, frozen corn, and sour cream mix together and let simmer for 5min.

Scoop out 1 cup of ground beef mixture onto bottom of 9X13 pan, layer tortilla shells ontop, follow process with another layer. You'll want to end up with the meat sauce exposed. Bake at 350 degrees for 25min, top with cheese and bake for another 5min or until cheese is melted.

I will say that Jason gave rave reviews for the dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment